Military Education Benefits Blog RSS Link

Can I Transfer My Military Education Benefits to My Granddaughter?
Rate This:
rated by 2 People

I have retired from the Army National Guard. I served on active duty from March 2003 until November 2004. I have 20 years. Under the new law, could I transfer my GI Bill to my granddaughter that we have supported and has lived in our home for 18 years? -Wallace B.

Transfer of educational benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill are available for the individual’s spouse and one or more of the individual’s children or any combination of the above. Unfortunately, the transfer provision does not apply to grandchildren.

For reserve component servicemembers, any transfer of education benefits must be done while you are still serving as a reserve component servicemember. It can not be done after retirement.

For further clarification, you can see the complete guidelines for tranfer of benefits at Another course of action is to call the Educational Benefits section in J1 at your state National Guard Headquarters.

ShareThis Stumble!
Tags: , , ,
Filled Under: Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA), G.I. Bill, Post-9/11 G.I. Bill - Bob Boone @ April 7th, 2010
No Comments


Top Online Schools for Military

University of Phoenix

Kaplan University

Virginia College


Post a Comment

Submit your comment....
Join the conversation and tell us what you think about this post. Fill in the information below to send us your feedback, ask more questions--or just voice your opinion.

Login using Facebook:

- OR -

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service

Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved.